Recipes

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Spinach Quiche - Another Frozen Treasure

At the start of the week, when I was organized, I made a big pan of eggplant rollatini.  The plan was for Henry to have it for lunch or dinner today and for a meal tomorrow too.  Unfortunately, when I broke into the pan last night for my dinner, the dish was a dud.  As a lover of shortcuts in cooking, this time I went too far.  No need to hash out all my mistakes...I promise to slow down in my cooking next time (maybe).  Though I will still eat the dish since I won't waste food, I did not want to give it to Henry and then have him distrust eggplant forever.  So, into my freezer I dove...

Lo and behold, I still had a few pieces left of the spinach quiche that I had frozen for Henry for when I was out of town for work.  Score!  I defrosted the piece and left it for my nanny to feed to Henry while I was at work today.  When I got home, my nanny said Henry devoured the whole slice.  Oh trusty spinach quiche, how I love you!

Quiche right out of the freezer


Za'atar Spinach Quiche
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1/2 to 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (I've done with both...depending on how many mushrooms I have)
1 - 10 ounce pkg frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup light feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1.5 tsps za'atar (taste the mixture to see if you want to add more...sometimes I end up adding more)
salt & pepper to taste
4 eggs
1 cup 1% milk

1.  Preheat oven to 375.

2. Put oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until softened (about 5 min).  Add mushrooms and saute about 3-4 minutes more.  Stir in spinach, feta, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.  Season with za'atar, salt, and pepper.  Taste to see if you need more seasoning. (Be careful on the salt - feta is pretty salty).

3.  In a bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.  Add the mixture to the skillet, and gently mix in. 

4.  Transfer skillet to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.  Then, sprinkle top with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and bake for another 30 minutes, or until center is set. 

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

3 comments:

  1. Re: Eggplant. I recently made broiled eggplant Parmesan (sp?) from the Hip Kosher cookbook. It's a no-bread-crumb recipe, and you don't have to use as much cheese as she does, but the point is, it's healthy because you don't fry, don't use a ton of oil and bread crumbs, and it uses fresh tomatoes. Try it!!-Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of za'atar in the quiche! Can't wait to try it! Keep the great ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Angelika - I'll have to try it!

    And thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete