Recipes

Sunday, December 5, 2010

It's a "No"...Yay?

Today seemed fated to be a junk food day.  On the docket were two birthday parties and a chanukah party.  The way I saw it, Henry could possibly just end up eating cake and donuts all day long.  Obviously I would try to feed him real food, but in party situations when the cake is out, I won't stop him. I don't want him to feel there are foods that I deny him because then he may end up wanting them even more down the line.  I will, however, always try to show him other healthy foods as well, such as fruits and veggies, with the hope that he'll eat those too.

Surprisingly, the day took a different turn.  The two birthday parties were back to back, and because Henry had woken up too early this morning, he was already somewhat tired by the time we got to the first birthday party.  When he looked at the food table, he seemed to be aiming for a mini chocolate chip muffin, but I intercepted with a strawberry, which kept him quite happy.  He then had a quarter of a mini-bagel, and some salad (Henry loves eating lettuce off of our plates now - I think he's a dressing fan).  Because the next party was starting, we left right after we sang "Happy Birthday", and before they served the cake (Henry did not seem to notice).  At party #2, he was already on the verge of a meltdown.  He had no desire for food - not pizza or birthday cake.  Definitely not a loss.

After Henry woke up from his nap, we headed out to a Chanukah party.  I knew they'd be serving sufganiyot (jelly donuts), and since this is a special Chanukah treat, I was more than fine with him having one...plus we'd already bypassed two rounds of birthday cake!  So, we got Henry a jelly donut.  He took a bite, then took the chewed donut from his mouth, and ever so sweetly placed it into his daddy's unsuspecting open mouth.  He then refused to eat anymore and proceeded to feed the rest of the donut to his daddy.  This is the first time he has ever disliked a sweet, and I'm not gonna lie, I was so happy.  This is definitely not a food item that I will feel a need to try on him again!

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment