Recipes

Monday, December 20, 2010

A Recipe Wasted...

Prior to Henry getting sick, I had decided to try a new gefilte fish recipe.  In the past he really liked gefilte fish (it has a pretty mild fish flavor), and I thought Henry might actually eat it even though he is now much pickier.  Alas, he got sick on Friday, and even though he was mostly better by Friday night, fish was not going to be his first food.  I probably would have tried it on him yesterday, but since I didn't feel well, the idea of taking out fish would have been enough to put me over the edge.  So, I thought tonight would be the perfect night to try it.  And then I got the call at work...Henry seemed to feel fine but he was having diarrhea (is it wrong that I was sort of happy that I was at work so I didn't have to change those diapers?).  So, instead of trying some Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Gefilte Fish:


Henry ended up with this:

Not quite as gourmet, but the BRATT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, tea, toast) was definitely the better choice to help Henry get back to his normal self.  Henry loved it though, and happily ate it all.  If only he would do that with veggies...

Oh, I did get to try a couple of rehydration solution recipes though.  Since I had the car at work, and since my husband was home again (this time because he still wasn't feeling well), I had him try a couple of the homemade remedies for Henry since we didn't yet have the Pedialyte.  Here is the resource I used: http://www.wenourish.com/docs/CNW2010_Ireton-Jones_ORS_Outcomes.pdf.  Anyway, we tried using 1 cup Powerade to 1 cup water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, but Henry refused it.  We then tried 1/2 cup OJ, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (which contains sodium), 4 teaspoons sugar, and 2 1/4 cups water.  Henry seemed to like that one, so we stuck with it.  On the way home from work I picked up some Pedialyte, but hopefully we won't have to use it anytime soon...

Anyway, my husband and I really enjoyed the gefilte fish, and I gave the leftovers to my parents who also really liked it, so I figured I'd share the recipe:

Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Gefilte Fish
1.5 cups sundried tomatoes (in oil)
1 cup cilantro (this was the only herb I had - parsley would work just as well...can't really taste cilantro over the tomatoes)
1/2 cup black olives
1/2 cup walnuts
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 Tbsp olive oil
pepper to taste

1.  Preheat oven to 350.

2.  Put 1st 6 ingredients in food processor and blend.  Then add the olive oil.  Season with pepper.

3.  Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Spread about 1/4 cup of pesto on the bottom of the pan.  Unwrap the gefilte fish loaves and place on top.  Spread about 3/4 cup of pesto all over the fish. 

4.  Bake in oven, covered, for 1 hour.  Then, remove foil, and bake for 30 minutes more.

5.  Serve cold or at room temperature with additional pesto on the side. 

Note: Leftover pesto is also great on pasta or sandwiches!

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment