Recipes

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Back to Normal

It was clear today that Henry was back to feeling 100%, and his appetite was 150% better...likely due to his lack of eating since Friday. 

For lunch, I had made a healthified version of the Spinach Caramelized Onion and Muenster Au Gratin Potatoes (that's quite a mouthfull!) from http://www.allrecipes.com/.  A friend of mine was coming over for lunch, and so last night I looked to see what I had in the house that I could make.  I had a huge package of muenster cheese (thank you Costco!), so I quickly did a search on allrecipes for some ideas that would incorporate muenster cheese.  I always end up making fritattas, baked noodle dishes, or tortilla based cheesy dishes, so a potato dish was a nice change.  It was definitely on the unhealthy side though, so I cut back on some of the fat and added more veggies.  Whatever I did, it seemed to work for Henry.  He ate an entire bowl (kiddie sized), and then finished a second bowl, followed by bananas and pineapple.

I kind of figured that lunch was Henry's big meal, so I didn't expect him to eat too much dinner.  Au contraire.  He downed a bowl of Chickpea & Kale Soup...and I mean downed! He used a spoon in one hand and his fingers from the other hand to shovel the food in.  And that's not all...he then had more pineapple...followed by half a banana and about an inch worth of corn on the cob at my sister's house (my nephews were having dinner while we were there). 

So, needless to say (but yes, I'm saying it anyway), Henry is feeling much better and is making up for lost time.  I could not be happier!

Healthified Veggie Potato Au Gratin (adapted from allrecipes.com)
6 small potatoes, peeled and diced
3/4 cup frozen spinach
1/2 cup frozen broccoli cuts
2 Tbsp light butter
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cups 1% milk
1.5 cups shredded muenster cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400.

2.  Spray 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray, and put potatoes, broccoli and spinach in there, and set aside (mix them up a little).

3.  In a saute pan or small pot, melt butter, and saute onions until slightly brown (about 7 minutes).  Stir in garlic and flour, and cook 1 minute more.  Season with salt and add milk.  Bring to a simmer, and cook and stir until sauce thickens.  Stir in 1 cup of muenster cheese, and allow to melt fully.  Pour mixture of potatoes and veggies.

4.  Cover and bake in over for 30 minutes.  Then, uncover, and bake for 20 minutes more.  Finally, sprinkle with remaining muenster cheese and bake for another 10 minutes.  Enjoy!

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

2 comments:

  1. This looks really delicious! I'll be trying this recipe! MMMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always so great when they get to feeling better huh? That recipe looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete