Recipes

Friday, February 25, 2011

Fast & Easy Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal

I've always liked the texture of steel cut oatmeal - it's chewier and a little nuttier than instant oatmeal or rolled oats.  Only problem is it takes way longer to make.  Instead of the 1 minute that microwaving my instant oats takes, preparing steel cut oats takes closer to 25 minutes.  Not gonna happen in my house.

I read recently, however, that some people soak their steel cut oats overnight, which can significantly cut the cook time.  A lot of the recipes I found called for boiling the oats for a minute the night before, or sticking the oatmeal in a crockpot, but I decided I would go the route of those who said they simply soaked the oats and cooked them in the morning.  So, last night I took a half cup of steel cut oats, 1 cup of 1% milk, 2 teaspoons of dark brown sugar, and a pinch of cinnamon and put it in my non-stick pot and shoved it in the fridge.  This morning I put the pot on my stove, brought it to a boil, and then let it simmer for 3 minutes.  It could not have been easier, and both Henry and I loved it.  It did make more than we could eat though (probably best for 3 adults OR 1 adult and 2-3 kids).  I'll have to see how microwaved/re-heated steel cut oatmeal will taste...


Anyway, I plan to make this a part of our morning routine.  Henry was getting tired of his oatmeal and applesauce and even though the nutrition info for steel cut versus instant oatmeal is virtually the same, for whatever reason I find I feel fuller from the steel cut oats (maybe its the chewing).

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment