Recipes

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sweet Potato "Fries"

Ok, I know based on the picture it looks more like just sliced sweet potatoes, but it's late at night, and creativity is lacking.  Anyway, when I was running through the supermarket on Thursday night, I found these pre-sliced sweet potatoes and decided that was the answer to a quick side-dish.  I threw them on a baking sheet, tossed them with honey, olive oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and a bit of salt and pepper, and baked them in the oven.  I'm not gonna lie - these did not really appeal to me.  They were quite sweet and a bit too nutmeg-y for me.  Henry, however, gobbled them up.  He even chose to eat them before his slice of muenster cheese tonight, which was the real litmus test since cheese is one of his favorite foods.  And of course my sweets-loving husband raved about them as well.  So, if you like sweet side dishes, this one may be for you!

Do you have any savory sweet potato recipes to share?

Sweet Potato "Fries"
2 tsp olive oil
24 oz. slices sweet potatoes (about 4 sweet potatoes)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Preheat oven to 400.

2.  On a baking sheet lined with foil, pour oil.  Add the sweet potatoes.  Then pour on honey and spices (including salt and pepper).  Mix together.  Bake in oven for 15 minutes.  Then flip wedges over and bake 15 minutes more.

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

3 comments:

  1. hello! New follower here :)
    I LOVE sweet potato fries and since my daughter hates every other kind of potato we make them a lot. I just slice them up, throw them in a large ziplock bag, put in about a tbs of olive or safflower oil and some good shakes of sea salt and bake them. I like the sweet savory taste together and my almost 2 yr old loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brillian Bundles: Thanks so much for the sweet potato idea. I just bought a bunch more sweet potatoes, so I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are big fans of spicy sweet potato fries here. Since they can be pretty spicy, I'll usually just roast some plain fries to give Lior. Don't have the recipes w/me right now, but can send it to you later (remind me).

    ReplyDelete