Recipes

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Yogurt, Kefir, & Smoothies, Oh My!

Like any toddler, Henry changes his food likes at the drop of a hat.  He liked yogurt, then he hated yogurt, then he liked yogurt but couldn't stand the chunks of fruit in the yogurt, etc.  This past week, however, he has been on a real yogurt/yogurt-related kick.

First, when we were out one day last week, I knew Henry was coming close to naptime, and likely would not make it home without falling asleep, and thus miss lunchtime.  So, when we were at the supermarket, I saw a bottle of kefir (a fermented milk drink) on sale and figured we would try it.  Kefir is a bit sour, so I wasn't sure how Henry would feel about it.  But, after having to sit in the backseat of my car with Henry for 15 minutes while he immediately said "more" after each sip, I knew he loved it!

This week I also got a shipment of Chobani Champions (Greek yogurt for kids) from Chobani (and no, I'm not being paid by them for this post).  The nice thing about the yogurt is that it is in a much smaller container (3.5 ounces versus 6 ounces), so Henry is able to finish the whole container.  Even better? The two flavors (Verry Berry and Honey-Nana) don't have chunks of fruit so Henry eats it without constantly spitting anything out...so much neater now! 


Finally, today I tried making Henry a smoothie on a recommendation I got on Twitter by @Robinsbite (http://www.robinplotkin.com/).  Robin mentioned that her child wouldn't eat blueberries, but happily slurped down an entire blueberry smoothie.  Since Henry won't eat blueberries either, I figured I'd try it.  So, today I threw blueberries, strawberries, a container of Chobani Champions Verry Berry yogurt, a splash of milk, and a few ice cubes in the blender.  After a small power struggle over what type of cup Henry would accept, he too happily slurped down his smoothie from his Sippy Cup (rare occasion when I won the struggle).

Here's hoping Henry still likes yogurt next week!

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

3 comments:

  1. My 3 year old and my 14 month old and my 11 year old all LOVE Keffir, (which they lovingly call "Cooloo" for some reason). We like Lifeway brand. It's organic, low fat, and kosher (most flavors). It's a miracle food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny...I can't for the life of me remember the name of the brand of kefir we had. I know it was kosher and low-fat, but it wasn't Lifeway. I'm pretty the Lifeway brand is the one my nephew is obsessed with though! I'll have to check the next time I'm at Fairway. I guess it's a common kid-friendly food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of Kefir for an on the go dairy rich snack! Will add them to the grocery list. So glad Henry likes his smoothie in the sippy cup!

    ReplyDelete