Recipes

Monday, February 14, 2011

Quick & Easy Chicken "Marsala"

Henry is a big fan of chicken, but it's not always easy to get him to eat veggies along with his meal.  The only veggies that I know Henry will definitely eat are corn and roasted cauliflower.  That's fine, and I'm more than thankful for canned corn, but I know I need to work to get Henry to eat other veggies too.  So my latest plan was to incorporate veggies into my chicken dish...which ultimately led to a version of Chicken Marsala.  Since this was a last minute decision, I definitely did not have Marsala wine, and the recipe I was working off of on http://www.allrecipes.com/ (Chicken Marsala), also called for sherry, which also was a no-go.  I'm not easily dissuaded, however, and after a few swaps to the recipe, I was pretty pleased.  Not nearly as pleased, however, as when Henry proceeded to shove the chunks of chicken right into his mouth.  I even had to slow him down so he wouldn't choke.  And yes, in those feverish bites, slices of mushrooms also made their way to Henry's tummy.  I still doubt Henry would eat mushrooms on their own, but this method worked too!

Quick & Easy Chicken "Marsala" (adapted from allrecipes.com)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch chunks
1.5 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup white grape juice

1.  In a ziploc bag, pour in flour, salt, pepper, and oregano, and shake to mix together.  Then add the chunks of chicken and shake it all together.

2.  In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Put the chunks of chicken in the pan, shaking off excess flour as you remove from the bag.  Brown on one side, and then turn chicken pieces over and brown on the other side. Add mushrooms, red wine, and grapejuice.  Cover pan and let simmer for about 10 minutes.

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment