Recipes

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Baked Gnocchi with Spinach

You may remember that after I made gnocchi a couple of months ago, I froze half the batch.  Well, today I finally decided to use it.  I texted my friend to invite her and her daughter (also 20 months) over for a dinner play-date, and planned to make it when I got home from work.  After sauteeing the spinach, while boiling the gnocchi, and shortly before my friend was going to arrive, I realized I was out of shredded cheese, so I had to improvise.  I mixed the gnocchi with the spinach and some ricotta cheese, and then topped it with my last 3 slices of muenster cheese.  I have to admit, it was pretty good.  Henry loved it and ate about 6 gnocchi mixed with the spinach and ricotta.  His friend wouldn't try it, but then we realized she had fever, so we're not going to count her opinion.  Her mommy liked eating her untouched food though before they had to leave!

Baked Gnocchi with Spinach
1.5 cups gnocchi
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups fresh spinach
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
7 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 slices muenster cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 450.
2.  Boil gnocchi until they float to the top.  Drain and set aside.
3.  Saute spinach in olive oil.  Add granulated garlic, and let cook until wilted.
4.  Mix together gnocchi, spinach, ricotta cheese, salt, and pepper.  Pour into sprayed (with cooking spray) skillet.  Spread tomato sauce over top and then the slices of cheese to cover the top.  Bake in oven for about 2 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown.

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment