Recipes

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

From Scrambled Eggs to Mediterranean Frittata


My plan tonight was to make scrambled eggs for Henry for dinner.  I was late getting home from work, and there wasn't much time before his 5PM dinner.  But then, as I drove up the block, I saw that Henry was over at my sister's house playing with my nephews.  Now, Henry LOVES being outside and LOVES his cousins.  As a result at 5:45PM, I actually had to carry him home kicking and screaming because he just wanted to keep playing.  He was such a wreck that he was definitely not going to be eating.

Thank God for The Wiggles.  I popped in a DVD, and while he calmed down and sang along, I decided to make something a bit more exciting than scrambled eggs - I opted for a Mediterranean-style frittata.  Once it was done, Henry was calm and happy, and proceeded to eat almost a full piece of the frittata.  I have to admit it was one of the best things I've made recently.  I probably could have eaten the whole thing!

Mediterranean Frittata
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen spinach
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1/3 cup green olives, chopped
1 cup artichokes, chopped
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 tsp oregano
salt & pepper to taste
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
6 eggs
1/4 cup 1% milk
salt & pepper to taste

1.  In a medium saute pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil.  Once softened, add spinach and parsley and cook 1 minute more.  Then add olives, artichokes, and sundried tomatoes.  Season with salt & pepper to taste, and keep on low for a few minutes while you prep the eggs.

2.  In a bowl, beat eggs with milk and a bit of salt and pepper.  Let stand for a minute while you go back to the saute pan.

3.  Add lemon zest and feta to saute pan, and let feta begin to melt.  Then mix it all together, and add the eggs.  Bring heat up to medium and let cook a few more minutes with a lid until the eggs start to set.  Then transfer the pan to the oven on broil until the entire frittata is set and slightly browned on top.

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment