Recipes

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Eating by Color

Weekends are tough when it comes to eating. Our schedule is off, and meals and meal times tend to vary.

For this weekend, I made a big pot of chicken soup with veggies, chicken, noodles, and matzo balls for Friday night dinner. I should know better by now - Henry will not eat anything I make on Friday nights because his favorite food precedes the meal. Henry is obsessed with challah. It is by far his favorite food. He asks for it everyday, and on Friday nights, he knows he gets it. I realize that challah does not make for a balanced meal, but since I don't give it to him during the week, I just let it go. There are only so many meals I can battle with a 15 month old.

I thought the soup was really good though, and I really thought he would like the matzo balls...how could he not? It's just another starchy, soft food...and it looks like bread! So, tonight I decided to try the chicken soup (sans actual soup) for dinner again. At dinner #1, he did not want anything - not even the noodles. Instead of trying to give him something else, I just took him out of the highchair and let him play. (I generally try not to offer other foods if he won't eat something since I don't want to end up a short-order cook). I then tried something that I normally never do (and I don't think I'll make a habit of it...for now). While Henry was playing, I brought him over a piece of matzo ball to try. This time he ate it and asked/signed for more. Success! I put him back in his highchair and let him at his food. Now, I wish I could say that I purposely planned this, but it just so happened that most of the food on his tray was only one color - white.
So, while Henry went to grab at the matzo ball, he also sometimes grabbed chicken, parsnip, turnip, onion, and noodles. This definitely is not what is meant by eating by color, but it totally worked tonight!

Happy and (mostly) healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment